Selling services on Etsy can be a great way to make extra money and grow your business. However, there are a few things you need to know before getting started.
In this article, we will discuss the basics of selling services on Etsy, including what services are allowed and what are prohibited. We will also provide some tips for getting started. So let’s get started!
Can you sell services on Etsy?
The short answer is yes, but there are some tweaks.
Etsy allows the sale of services only if they result in the creation of a new tangible item.
However, traditional services such as modification services (dress alterations, tattoo removal etc.), pet sitting and house cleaning are not allowed.
To decide to sell your services on Etsy is an important distinction to make because it can impact your business growth strategy.
If you’re primarily selling services that don’t result in a new product, then Etsy may not be the best platform for you.
On the other hand, if you offer services that do create a new product, then Etsy can be a great way to reach new customers and grow your business.
If you’re unsure about whether your service is allowed, be sure to check with Etsy directly.
What types of services are allowed?
Etsy allows the sale of services that result in the creation of a new tangible item. So, regardless of the service that you are selling, you must include an actual item, such as a PDF file, sent via Etsy message or email.
In addition to the service itself, any digital products associated with the sale of service must also meet Etsy’s marketplace criteria to be listed on the site.
And the criteria are as follows according to Etsy:
- The service has to create a tangible item
- The service needs not to be considered a prohibited service
- The service needs not to be listed as a modification service
- The service requires not to violate Etsy’s policies
- Even if the service is allowed but does not create a tangible item, you must include a tangible good such as a video of the service provided or written outcomes of the service as a PDF file etc.
Some examples of services that are allowed:
- Design services
- Photo editing
- Etsy SEO, shop consulting
- Tarot readings (which are sold in the form of a digital file such as a video or a PDF)
- Essay writing
- Curated/compiled list of information (which doesn’t aggregate personal details)
- Curated lists are allowed unless they don’t contain personal information, promote illegal activities or provide prohibited items.
- Divination and tarot readings are allowed as long as the seller provides a tangible item, such as a video of the reading, upon completion of the service.
What types of services are not allowed?
Modification services are not allowed to be sold on Etsy. This is because they do not result in the creation of a new tangible item.
Some examples of services that are not allowed:
- Distant healing
- Pet sitting
- House cleaning
- Reiki toning
- Speaking to deads
- Rentals and related services are not allowed.
- Metaphysical services such as Reiki, distance healing, spellcasting, and prayers, are not allowed.
Tips for selling services on Etsy
Now that you know what types of services can and cannot be sold on Etsy, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start by checking if your service is allowed to be sold on Etsy
- Create a list of the services you offer and determine their prices.
- Make keyword research by using Etsy’s search bar and see what terms people are using to find similar services.
- Use those keywords in your titles, tags and descriptions as Etsy recently announced a new SEO algorithm to make sure your listings are being seen by potential customers.
- Include clear and concise descriptions of your services, and be sure to highlight any unique selling points.
- Add attractive photos (and a video).
- Finally, include clear and concise descriptions of what the service entails and what the buyer will receive. Do not forget to include information about the tangibles!
Selling services on Etsy can be a great way to make some extra money and grow your business. Just be sure to follow the guidelines set by Etsy and provide excellent customer service to your buyers. With a little effort, you can soon be on your way to success!